There is no denying the fact that our generation is experiencing a paradigm shift. And, we have reached the stage in which the traditional means are considered ‘primitive,’ and the entire world is moving online. Since we are increasing our dependency on the Internet, we are also opening ourselves to cyber attacks. Whenever we enter the Internet, we become vulnerable to a lot of cyberattacks. And, the only person standing between our precious information and these hackers is a cyber security expert.
Unfortunately, cyber security experts are also a dying species. There is a massive void in the field of security. The number of professionals who are adept in the skills of cyber security is dwindling day by day. Also, according to the ISC cyber security Workforce Study, there has to be a growth of about 62% at least in the total number of cyber security experts in order to meet the growing demands of businesses in the status quo.
So, the need for an excellent cyber security expert is obviously present. The next question one might ask is how can I become a cyber security expert? Or, where do I begin learning cyber security? There are many ways in which you can learn about cyber security. But before we discuss the actual path that you need to take to call yourself a cyber security expert, there is a need to have a discussion about the current status of cyber security.
Latest Trends in Cyber Security
In the past years, some general trends could be easily understood if we study all the attacks that happened in a comprehensive manner. While it is true that most of these breaches could be handled in a much smoother way if the companies facing these attacks were adequately staffed. However, it would only help us if we take a closer look at the attacks and use the past to bolster our chances of safeguarding our future.
So, listed below are some latest trends in the space of cyber security:
- Hackers will go after data: For those who played Watch Dogs 2 or watched movies, you are well aware of hackers and their relation with data. But, for those who are new in this field, you should know that data is by far the most precious commodity any organization possesses. The information they store can range from highly sensitive data about the company’s functioning to study into customers’ trends. Needless to say, safeguarding data warehouses should be the first task for any organization.
- The issue with cloud computing: The infamous iCloud hack showed us that cloud computing is not secure either. Not only did the hackers find the vulnerabilities, but they also managed to compromise the security of a trillion-dollar company like Apple. This makes one think about the viability of the entire cloud ecosystem. However, it is all but certain that without cloud computing, there are no hopes of finding much-needed flexibility and scalability in the current paradigm. So, there is a need to bolster the security of the cloud as well.
- Trying to integrate automation with cyber security: It is already established that the cyber security team in any organization is usually understaffed. They have to do more with few resources. One way to get things done is through automation. This could prove to be a game-changer if we are able to make smart monitoring across the board. It will relieve the exorbitant loads on professionals and improve the overall quality of the security that they provide.
What is Cyber Security?
We have been using terms like cyber security and cyber security expert without really getting in-depth with what is the meaning of these terms. So, here, we delve deeper into the meaning of the word ‘cyber security.’
Cyber security, in the easiest of terms, is just the practice of safeguarding computers, servers, laptops, mobile phones, Internet of Things (IoT) devices, networks, etc., from malicious attempts at gaining control of them.
Cyber is an umbrella term for anything related to computers. So, beyond a shadow of a doubt, one can assume that there are many facets to cyber security. We have listed some of them below:
- Network security: The practice ensures that there are no outside and unwanted entities present on any computer network.
- Security of information: This is perhaps one of the most crucial forms of cyber security considering the data-driven times we are witnessing. The security of information (or information security) is that field of cyber security which deals with protecting any companies’ sensitive information from prying eyes.
Beginners Guide to Learn Cyber Security
There are many ways in which one can master the ways of cyber security. We have listed some of the prevalent methods below:
- Formal education: There are many technical-minded institutions in the world that have started to provide formal education in the field of cyber security. So, for students who are motivated enough and have decided to make cyber security as their future, they can look out for these degrees and programs as a great way to start their careers.
- IT certifications: There is a massive debate in the whole tech community as to which is the better way to proceed if you want to make a career in the field of cyber security. There are many upsides to choosing IT certifications over formal education like the objective-oriented approach and real-world applications. They generally last much less than any traditional degree.
- Online learning: You will find many online courses that aim at developing particular skillsets. These can be an excellent way to get the skills pertaining to cyber security. Another upside is that they are self-paced so you can set your own pace of learning.
Cyber security is a field that is in dire need of experts. There are many ways in which one can master the skills that are needed to become a cyber security expert. You can choose the route of formal education if you have the time and money to invest. IT certifications would make more sense if you want something quick and get you up to speed. Alo, online certification courses are great for the ones who like to dictate their own terms of learning. Whichever mode of learning you choose, a bright future awaits if you have all the required skills.